Laptop model of this guide: Acer Aspire E15 Ram Upgrade
The Acer E15 has been a phenomenal laptop for me considering the price. It did everything I needed it to do, for a while.
The stock specs included a 1 TB HDD and 6 GB of RAM. While those are well and good, I knew that with all the money saved buying it that upgrading it would be within the budget. I upgraded the hard drive nearly right away to an SSD and that was my sweet little setup.
Over time though, as I got more comfortable with my laptop, more tabs started to open. Sound familiar? I wasn’t a laptop person before this, in fact this is the first one I’ve owned and actually used. It was out of necessity, but still. I’m glad I had to become a laptop guy.
There was only one problem, I couldn’t realistically have 24 tabs open that I was never going to read. And I NEED that in my life. So, its time to upgrade the ram and you’ll be pleased to know that you could probably do this in under 10 minutes. If you’d like to watch me do it on film, you can watch my youtube tutorial. I’m still shy on the camera, go easy on me.
Steps to Upgrading your Acer E15 Laptop's RAM
- Research exactly the RAM that is compatible with your laptop. It’s very important to know the specifics to save you some time and pain. Manufacturers will have this listed on their website or you can see them answering it on a listing(like for instance an Amazon sales page question chain).
- If everything lines up, don’t be afraid to buy it. Remember that a big name supplier wants you to only buy their stuff. So, they might scare you into listing specific models that they say are compatible. But, we’re using PCs here and we know that hardware is hardware. If you do your research and it fits, get it. When I was upgrading my laptop there were only 4 or so “compatible” RAM modules listed. But, if you’re buying the Acer E15 you can go with 1600 MHZ DDR3L RAM. That’s what I did.
- Now that you’ve got your compatible RAM, here comes the easy part. Power off your laptop and undo the three screws holding the bottom cover in place. Once that’s done, pop it off.
- In the lower right portion of your laptops circuit board, you’ll see two rectangular pieces. They will be locked into place with a tension clip. Simply press it gently and they will both pop out.
- Replace them with the new RAM you’ve purchased and close it all up!
Will adding more RAM help my laptop for gaming?
Here’s a little caveat about RAM. It’s not a gaming upgrade. If you have tasks you need to complete on your computer, then it’s your friend.
Or in my case, a few applications open. But RAM won’t help you with frame-rates and that is one of the limitations with a laptop. If you’re looking for a gaming upgrade, you pretty much have to get a new rig.
The two most important components in this case by order are your 1. GPU and 2. CPU.
Benchmarks for my Acer-Aspire-i3-8130U-Memory-E5-576-392H
With that said, happy computing! I hope you enjoyed this guide and it saved you some money. If you have anything you’d like to share with me just shoot over a comment and I’ll reply as soon as I can.
Hey everyone 🙂 My name is Conor. I'm passionate about technology, zen, and improving the quality of life so many of us share at a desk!